HAPPY PALM SUNDAY CELEBRATION – 10TH APRIL 2022
Christians’ Holy Week began on Happy Palm Sunday 2022, while Jesus Christ, as a guiding Angel & King, entered Jerusalem, the city of love or peace. This year, Palm Sunday was celebrated on April 10th, 2022, and will precede Easter Day on April 17th. The day is also known as ‘Passion Sunday’ because it is featured in all four canonical gospels, focusing on Christ’s life.
Palm Sunday 2022 is observed in various churches, with attendees seeking blessing and sharing palm branches, representing the branches laid in front of Jesus as he entered Jerusalem.
In the Nativity Catholic Parish Matany, the Palm Sunday procession started at the main Hospital Gate of St. Kizito Hospital- Matany, at 8:30 am with a big number of parishioners’ too seeking blessing and sharing palm branches, representing the branches laid in front of Jesus as he entered Jerusalem singing songs hailing the power of Jesus!
The mass was animated by the students of Nursing and Midwifery training school, Matany.
- Procession – Luke 19:28-40: “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord. Peace in heaven and glory in the highest.”
- First Reading – Isaiah 50:4-7: “The Lord GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame.”
- Responsorial Psalm – Psalm 22: “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?”
- Second Reading – Philippians 2:6-11: “Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”
- Gospel – Luke 22:14—23:56: “When they came to the place called the Skull, they crucified him and the criminals there, one on his right, the other on his left.”